Friday, May 29, 2020

Cable thieves jailed for 12 years

Six men, five from the same family, have been sentenced to a total of 12 years in jail for conspiracy to steal railway cable.

The gang were responsible for more than 35 thefts across Lincolnshire and the surrounding area, during an 11-month period in 2013. A two-year investigation by BTP officers has today resulted in six men being jailed for a total of 12 years.

Brian Derrick Smith (36) of Millfield Lane, Stainforth, Malcolm Isaac (42) of Thames Road, Grantham, Philip Smith (25) of New Park Estate, Stainforth, Doncaster, Gordon Geoffrey Smith (46) of Ramskir View, Doncaster, Charles Aaron Smith ( 31) of Toller Court Horbling, Lincolnshire, and Craig Paul Smith (27) of Holly Street, Lincoln, all pleaded guilty in court.

A seventh man, Jaime Beardmore (23) of Brunswick Street, Thurnscoe, Rotherham, received a 12 month suspended sentence for two years.

The gang were sentenced at Lincolnshire Crown Court on Monday, 11th January.  The court heard how they had targeted three major rail improvement projects being delivered by Network Rail, and stole signalling cable, which had been installed but not yet commissioned as part of the projects. They then stripped the cabling and sold the copper inside.  The locations they targeted included Oakham, Boston, Ancaster, Sleaford, Digby, Saxondale, Grantham, Spalding, Reepham, Fiskerton, Beckingham, Market Rasen, Gainsborough, Lowdham, Burton Joyce and Nottingham, and Haxey in South Yorkshire and Whitby in North Yorkshire. The total cost to Network Rail to replace the cabling stolen at each location was valued at £1,054,099.  The men were arrested as part of Operation Motion in dawn raids at the home addresses on 19 March 2014 following a covert operation.

The investigation into the gang’s activities secured evidence from various sources, linking all seven to each other and to the crimes and led to the seizure of two of their vans, a quad bike, as well as hydraulic cutting equipment. Property seized at their homes, including bolt coppers, disk cutters, grinders, hacksaws, cable sheathing and a off road bike also provided invaluable evidence which when shown to the group, gave them no option but to plead guilty. “The gang targeted areas of the rail network which were remote and difficult to access without knowledge.” said Detective Inspector Mick Dawes who headed up the Operation Motion. “They travelled the country in what was a well-planned and organised operation.  “Through working closely with industry colleagues, we tracked them down and brought them before the courts today. “Cable theft costs the rail industry millions of pounds each year, causing delays and increases in costs to projects which have a knock-on effect on passengers.   “We take this type of crime extremely seriously and we will do all we can to bring offenders to justice.   “The gang will now spend a considerable amount of time in prison and these sentences should act as a deterrent to others who seek to profit from cable theft.”

“I would like to take his opportunity to thank our partners within the railway industry for their support and co-operation with this investigation.” Hayley Bull, community safety manager at Network Rail, said: “This case demonstrates just how costly cable theft from the railway can be. Trespassing onto the network for any reason is extremely dangerous and as this case shows, it can end up costing the taxpayer huge sums of money to put right, as well as causing immense disruption for passengers trying to go about their daily lives and delays to improvement work intended to create a more reliable railway. We are continually developing better ways to protect the network from cable thieves and will continue to work with the British Transport Police to prosecute anyone caught carrying out such a mindless act of vandalism.”

 

 

Help us maintain our standards of journalism

Readers across the region enjoy our news site but keeping our news up to date and authoritative, without charging readers to view the site is a challenge. Especially now with the Corona Virus measures affecting us all, as many clients have been severely affected and are naturally reducing their spend on advertisements. Given this lack of revenue stream we are calling on the generosity of our readers to help us fill that void and enable our journalists to continue delivering the news that you enjoy.

Unlike many other news sites, we don't have annoying pop ups or charge scandalous prices for events. We also produce printed magazines for each title and we make these freely available to read on line too, for your enjoyment. Often, people have asked why we don't make a charge for viewers to read these magazines and news stories but we feel that would adversely affect our readership/advertisers response rate. But with advertising revenues now severely affected we need your help. So, if you can support our news sites/magazines with either a small donation of even £1, or a subscription to our magazine, which costs just £27.55 per year, (inc p&P and mailed direct to your door) your generosity will help us weather the current storm and continue in our quest to deliver quality journalism.

We value your readership and your support, as this enables us to continue to provide our regular daily news updates. We've been established over 30 years, during which we've lost count of the numerous recessions and financial meltdowns, and we intend to weather the storms caused by Covid-19. So, every reader contribution, however big or small, is invaluable in helping us to get through this. Please click here to help support your favourite news site/magazine.

Advertisment








Latest posts

Local people support campaign to help hospice survive pandemic

Local people have found unique ways to support a North Lincolnshire charity to help it survive during the coronavirus pandemic. Lindsey Lodge Hospice launched its...

St Barnabas Hospice outlines plans to open charity shops

Following recent government guidance, St Barnabas Hospice has outlined plans to reopen its charity shops. St Barnabas Hospice is a Lincolnshire-based charity which has 26...

Facemask designed by Lincoln Uni student wins product design competition

An up and coming young designer from the University of Lincoln has produced an innovative new facemask to protect children from harmful pollution. Owen Phillips,...

Lincolnshire councils strengthen ties

North Lincolnshire and North East Lincolnshire Councils have strengthened their historic ties across the county by committing to sole membership of the Greater Lincolnshire...

New beach safety campaign launched as lockdown eases

The Royal National Lifeboat Institution (RNLI) and Her Majesty’s (HM) Coastguard have launched a new beach safety campaign, urging parents to protect their families...

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. more information

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.

Close