2016 is quickly approaching, and for many of us that means it is time to come up with our annual list of New Year’s resolutions. If you are a busy professional trying to balance work and family life, these ten resolutions from Real Office Centers may help you on both fronts.
- Exercise More: This is the most popular New Year’s resolution every year, and it is easy to see why — exercise makes you healthier and happier, and can reduce stress and improve your sleep. In short, regular exercise will give you everything you need to succeed both at home and in the office in 2016.
- Snack Smarter: Rather than cutting out snacks altogether, try eating healthier, protein-packed snacks such as cottage cheese, trail mix or hard boiled eggs. These should keep you fueled all day long, from your morning meeting to date night.
- Be More Charitable: Whether you volunteer at your local animal shelter or collect canned food for a soup kitchen, getting both your family and workplace involved in a cause is a great way to bond with your loved ones and increase your company’s connection to its surrounding community.
- Establish a Routine: If you do not have a regular routine in place, it is easy for “nonessentials” like family dinner or employee checkins to fall through the cracks. Combat this head-on by establishing daily, weekly and monthly routines for 2016.
- Get Organized: How many times have you had to stay an extra hour in the office because you could not find a crucial document? If this happens to you often, it is time to start living by the simple “a place for everything, and everything in its place” rule.
- Quit Your Vices: Whether your weakness is tobacco or too much television, finally giving it up will give you more time and energy to focus on more important things, both in your work and personal lives.
- Save Money: Having a solid nest egg to fall back on is crucial for your family’s security, and it also makes it easier for you to take bold risks in the workplace that you might otherwise not have had the confidence to pull off.
- Manage Your Stress: Meditation, support groups, exercise — it is important to find whatever works for you in terms of stress relief, and then incorporating it into your daily routine. Balancing work and family life is stressful, and you need a healthy way to relieve that stress.
- Stop Procrastinating: Whether it is a home DIY project or a new initiative at work, finally tackling those big projects will bring back tangible results, as well as a fair amount of self-satisfaction. Just remember to take each project one day at a time, so that they do not seem too daunting.
- Improve Your Sleep: Getting a full eight hours can drastically improve your focus and drive, as well as your overall wellbeing. If you have serious sleep problems, there are plenty of solutions out there, ranging from herbal teas and candles to prescription drugs.
Whatever you hope to accomplish in 2016, staying on top of both your work and personal lives will help you succeed. Think of these resolutions as a roadmap to a healthier, more balanced life.