Friday, April 4, 2025

Food safety failings cost deli £32,000

The owner of a delicatessen and bistro has been ordered to pay more than £32,000 for failing to comply with food hygiene regulations.

Twenty food safety and hygiene-related charges were issued after Environmental Health inspectors from South Kesteven District Council visited Oblio’s Deli & Bistro in Westgate, Grantham.

Steven Thorsen, 72, admitted all charges at Boston Magistrates’ Court.

During the hearing, magistrates saw photo evidence of the inadequate conditions and were told about unsafe food practices.

Across separate inspections in 2022 and 2023, inspectors found whipped and single cream, pastry, cheese and raw meat that were past the use-by date, contravening the Food Safety and Hygiene Regulations 2013.

Fridges in the premises were running at unsafe temperatures above 8°C to prevent the growth of harmful bacteria and toxins. Expired cheese stored in the fridges had also grown mould.

The prosecution highlighted a continued build-up of grease on walls and surfaces due to unsuitable and insufficient ventilation, inadequate provision of hand-washing facilities and the poor condition of floor surfaces.

The court heard how the business was served two improvement notices in October 2022 but failed to resolve them in the time given.

Sally Burke, prosecuting on behalf of SKDC, explained the responsibilities of food business operators and how cleaning and ventilation, regular date code checks and temperature control checks fall within this.

She explained that despite guidance and support provided by the Council’s environmental health team, the defendant was unable to improve the conditions of the premises and practice safe food handling and storage.

The court heard how Mr Thorsen had re-packaged cheese using vacuum packaging, without indicating the contents or the date in which the cheese would no longer be safe to use.

The court also heard how the defendant had struggled with his health and had been let down by tradespeople he had contracted to carry out the improvement work, which has now been completed.

Mr Thorsen was ordered to pay a fine, costs and surcharges totalling £32,312.72. He was fined £25,000 and must also pay the Council’s costs of £5,312.72 with a victim surcharge of £2,000.

Cllr Rhea Rayside, SKDC Cabinet Member for People and Communities, said: “I hope this will send a strong message to all that the safety of our residents and visitors is a key priority.

“I would like to highlight the work of the team for their diligence in achieving this successful prosecution, having provided a significant amount of support to the business for a number of years.

“It is important that the Council takes court action in cases such as this, where the support offered by inspectors hasn’t been taken on board to ensure that food law is followed and that consumers are kept safe.”

 

Image courtesy of South Kesteven District Council

A message from the Editor:

Thank you for reading this story on our news site - please take a moment to read this important message:

As you know, our aim is to bring you, the reader, an editorially led news site and magazine but journalism costs money and we rely on advertising, print and digital revenues to help to support them.

With the Covid-19 pandemic having a major impact on our industry as a whole, the advertising revenues we normally receive, which helps us cover the cost of our journalists and this website, have been drastically affected.

As such we need your help. If you can support our news sites/magazines with either a small donation of even £1, or a subscription to our magazine, which costs just £27.55 per year, (inc p&P and mailed direct to your door) your generosity will help us weather the storm and continue in our quest to deliver quality journalism.

As a subscriber, you will have unlimited access to our web site and magazine. You'll also be offered VIP invitations to our events, preferential rates to all our awards and get access to exclusive newsletters and content.

Just click here to subscribe and in the meantime may I wish you the very best.

Advertisment












Latest posts

900 years of the Boston May Fair celebrated

The May Fair 900 Exhibition has opened at Boston Guildhall, inviting visitors to explore the 900-year history of one of England's oldest and most...

Landmark Grimsby site snapped up

Hull-based commercial developer Wykeland Group has acquired a landmark site in Grimsby and announced new investment is on its way. Wykeland has purchased the former...

18th Century hotel to be sold in Skegness

The Vine Hotel, a guest house and event venue in Skegness, is to be sold. Dating back to 1770 and reported to be the oldest...

RAF Scampton to be sold on open market despite regeneration plans

The UK government will sell RAF Scampton on the open market, rejecting West Lindsey District Council’s bid to acquire the site for a £300...

Children in hospital benefit from diners’ generous donations

Charitable donations made by diners at a Lincoln restaurant will help keep children occupied whilst being cared for in hospital. The children’s wards at Lincoln...

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. more information

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.

Close